Friday, May 9, 2008

The Three Strange Strangers in the Strange... Strange place...

I opened my eyes to pitch-black darkness all around me. My mind immediately went into overdrive producing some rather difficult questions at a feverish pace. Answers to all of them were quite unclear. I would even go to the extent of saying that I had no notions about what was happening to me or around me.

I slowly regained my composure and tried to get myself up to my feet as my eyes got accustomed to the darkness, which was quite literally freaking me out. As I made efforts to explore the surroundings, I could now make out gigantic structures all of which were unusually shaped towering around me. At that point it was very hard to judge whether they were real or was my mind playing tricks on me. It seemed as if I was in another dimension altogether. All my senses were on high alert as I made my way carefully aware of every little movement I made.

Not too far away....

The eerie calm was broken by a shrill high-pitched shriek followed by a uniform thud..thud..thud consistent with someone running.

She was running as fast as she could. She dint know where she was... She dint know where she was running… She dint even know why she was running... All she knew was that she had just woken up a short while ago in an alien environment. She did the first thing that came to her mind.. She let out an ear splitting scream. As she got into the scream the intensity of it sent shivers down her spine. She did the next best thing She could think of.. She ran. She galloped I would say..

As she ran...She finally started thinking about what actually was happening. As hard as she tried she could not recall a thing. She started to pinch herself hoping that all of this was a dream and she would wake up any second in some place. But she dint feel a thing.

Suddenly she realized that she had been running steadily for a lot of time and she was not feeling a least bit of fatigue. She wondered if she was alive at all?

Meanwhile...

I was making steady progress in whatever I was doing by walking aimlessly.. I felt that I was absolutely alone in whatever god forsaken place this was..

Suddenly, I heard this faint noise.. I initially couldn’t make much of it.. I stopped in my tracks and tried to determine the direction of the sound.. I put all my concentration on the sound.. It seemed as if it was coming from all around me. It seemed to increase in intensity by the second. I was in a state of panic now.. I dint know what to make of that sound..

AAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah...... The sound came......... It was downright creepy... I just felt a sense of resentment come over me... I just closed my eyes. And then it happened..BAM... I was thrown to the floor. Something had just fallen on me... Quite literally fallen from the skies or whatever that was up there...

I lay there sprawling on the ground thinking about the events that had just transpired.. What was the thing which just fell on me.. A voice suddenly rang through the surroundings.

"Hello!!! Anyone there?..Where am I?............. Help! Help!"

I sat there Dumbfounded. I dint know how to react to this brand new development.. A fellow living thing.. A human at that..Who was he? Was he friendly? My mind went into another tizzy....In spite of all the apprehensions, I made my way to the source of the noise.. I could make out the outline of a person.

"Hello" I said

That’s when it happened. There was a sudden burst and something or someone just crashed into me.. For the second time in as many minutes I lay there sprawled on the ground. This had started to anger me now. I was not even sure why I was angry. But there I was on the ground really really wild.

"Who is it" She said.....

"What is happening here??" He asked..

I was confused now.. This was something new.. A girl!!!.. My anger seemed to melt away....

Hi, I said... Er.. Who are you?

Both of them dint look that they knew the answer to that.. Almost as soon as I finished my question both of them almost in unison asked me the same question....

As I was about to think of a favorable response....**Poof**..... There was a bright flash of light....It was all over at that instant....

Kolkata, Circa 2000AD, January 1st….Article in one of the popular Newspapers..

In the wee hours of the morning a speeding bus hit 3 people dressed in strange clothes standing in the middle, two died on the spot. The lone survivor, a yet unidentified male, is battling for life in the government hospital. Police are waiting for him to regain consciousness to take an offical statement. Meanwhile, when our reporter spoke with the bus driver who is in police custody. The visibly shaken driver says that the 3 people suddenly popped up out of nowhere in the middle of the road and he couldn’t do much to avoid them.

I opened my eyes again to a very different atmosphere…

No comments: